About Illuminate Tuition Watford - 11 Plus for SW Herts & Bucks Consortium
Who we prepare for
- Illuminate Tuition Watford courses are specifically designed to target South-West Herts 'Consortium' (Watford Boys & Girls, Parmiters, Queens, St Clement Danes...) and Buckinghamshire 'Consortium' (Aylesbury Grammar & High School, Dr. Challenors, Sir Henry Floyd Grammar...) 11 plus entrance exams.
- As our course materials and exam papers are written specifically for CEM Durham University and GL Assessment 11 plus entrance exams, you can be sure that your child will be taught only the things they need to know and introduced to the correct style of questions that will match those in the real entrance exams.
What we teach
All students attend both 11 plus Maths and Verbal Reasoning classes (1 hour each subject in Year 5) or Maths and Literacy classes (1/2 hour each subject in Year 4).
(Optional Non-Verbal Reasoning class for Bucks Consortium available as part of the Year 5 and as an add-on for Year 4)
- Our Maths syllabus includes topics such as place value, time, money, angles, patterns and sequences, fractions, decimals, percentages, averages, pie charts, Venn diagrams, ratio, transformations, coordinates, nets of 3D shapes, plans and elevations, wordy problems and many more topics that may be tested in the 11 Plus GL Assessment Maths exams.
- Our Verbal Reasoning syllabus includes grammar, vocabulary, word formation, synonyms, antonyms, spelling, CLOZE, language skills, reading comprehension and many more skills required for the 11 Plus CEM Durham VR exams.
- Non-verbal reasoning classes will receive practice books to work through from well-established educational publishers as part of the course.
How we teach
- Grammar school 11 plus entrance exams are designed to test a child's true understanding of subjects and ability to solve problems never seen before. In order to be able to do this, your child needs to be taught the skills to think independently and solve problems rather than just repetitive practice of basic Maths and English skills. The materials we use are carefully written to fully cover all topics and unlock the skills and understanding required for the entrance exams (These materials are completely original and cannot be bought anywhere else). Your child will be taught thought processes as well as relevant topic knowlege and trained to work quickly and accurately, making sure that he/she can answer all questions with speed and accuracy, giving him/her the best chance at succeeding.
- We have very small class sizes (max 10 students per class) and each class will have a teaching assistant as well as a fully qualified teacher.
- We teach at West Herts College Watford, in state-of-the-art classrooms with the best learning facilities and surroundings available.
- We believe that teaching is a skill that must be acquired and perfected, so we only use fully qualified teachers who have experience teaching at outstanding secondary schools. These teachers have a vast understanding of how children learn and achieve their full potential.
- We focus on developing strong topic knowledge, speed of working, accuracy and good exam techniques in preparation for the entrance exams.
- Every month, Year 5 pupils will be given a mock 11 plus exam in the style of the real exams to build your child's confidence and track progress. Year 4 pupils will be given enrichment activities once a month to build interest and problem solving skills.
- Carefully written course material and homework booklets are given to students every week to consolidate their knowledge after each 11 plus Saturday lesson.